Are you in search of exercises that can heal diastasis recti? Well, you are in for some good news as there are exercises that can effectively help you reduce its appearance. Before you start working out, you’re going to want to make sure you are dressed in clothes that are comfortable, but that also allow for movement. If you’re going to buy new exercise clothes, you could check out a site like Raise and see what savings there are to be had when shopping with well-known brands, like Adidas. This post talks about those simple exercises that can help you get relieved from the condition.
Would you like to know more? Keep reading!
Diastasis Recti – An Overview:
As you know, diastasis recti is a condition that causes the muscles in your abdomen to get separated (1). Your midsection appears to have a ridge running down when you have this medical condition. With the right exercise program, you can get back your abdominal strength and improve the way your tummy appears.
10 Effective Diastasis Recti Exercises:
1. The Hand Guidance Exercise:
In this workout, you need to use your hands as a tool for “knitting” the muscles in your abdomen back to their normal position.
- The first step is to lie on your back and place your feet on the ground.
- Place one hand on each side of your muscles with your hands crossed over each other.
- Next, inhale and then slowly exhale and raise your head as you do so. As you lift your head, guide your muscles together with gentle movements.
- Lower your head again and repeat the exercise 10 times. For best results, perform an extra two sets every day.
[ Read: Yoga Asanas To Treat Endometriosis ]
2. The Heel Slide Exercise:
With this exercise, you can work on the muscles that have been compromised.
- This muscle group is known as transverse abdominis (2). Again, the first step is to lie down with both feet on the ground.
- For additional support, you can place your hands under your buttocks with your palms down.
- The next step is to lift the toes of one foot up with your heels on the floor. Straighten your leg by gently sliding it out and hold the position for 5 seconds. Repeat it 8 times and then work on your other leg.
3. The Pelvic Tilt Exercise:
This exercise corrects the effects of diastasis recti with the use of gentle scooping motions.
- It helps in strengthening your abdominal muscles.
- First, lie on your back with your left leg slightly extended but your knee bent.
- Now with your knee bent, put your right foot on the ground.
- Using gentle movements, tilt your pelvis towards your chest.
- You will feel the lower part of your back moving on the floor.
- Remember not to lift your buttocks or pelvis off the floor.
- Return to your first position and repeat the exercise 10 times.
- Wrap it around your torso with its ends facing your front.
- Now start the crunches. While you are doing them, pull the towel’s ends towards each other so that they help you pull the muscles of your abdomen back together.
- Start slowly and work up the number of crunches you do every day.
[ Read: Yoga Asanas For Treating Osteoporosis ]
5. The Wall Sit Exercise:
You will need a Pilates ball to help you with this exercise.
- First, stand against a wall and keep your back and hips towards it.
- Take the ball between your knees and slowly sit down, forming a 90-degree angle with your knees.
- Make sure that your abs are drawn in the entire time.
- Now squeeze the ball and make sure that you draw your abs in while doing so.
- Repeat the exercise 20 times and return to your standing position.
6. The Bridge Exercise:
This is another effective exercise for abdominal muscle strengthening.
- Lie down on your back with your knees bent.
- Make sure that your feet, shoulders, and head are flat on the floor.
- Lift your hips up to create a straight line from your shoulders to knees.
- Now draw in your abdominal muscles and squeeze the glutes.
- If you are in the correct position, your ankles should be aligned below your knees.
- Perform this exercise 10 times with breaks in between.
7. The Single-Leg Floor Touch Exercise:
This is considered to be one of the best exercises for diastasis recti.
- First, lie on your back with your knees bent and feet on the floor.
- Support your back with a pillow.
- Now lift your left leg up to meet your right knee.
- Your navel should be pulled down to your spine with the abdominal muscles contracted.
- Slowly lower your leg and place your foot on the floor.
- Return to the starting position and repeat the exercise with you right leg.
- Repeat it 10 times with each leg.
8. The Pull-In Exercise:
You can do this exercise standing, sitting or lying down.
- It is a simple exercise that requires you to arch up your lower back.
- While you are in this position, you need to draw in your belly button towards your spine.
- Initially, do the exercise 20 to 30 times 3 times daily.
- As times goes, increase the number to 50 to 100 times twice a day.
9. The Leg Slide And Lift Exercise:
This is another exercise that is highly effective for diastasis recti.
- First, you need to lie down on your back.
- Next, lift your foot off the floor while bending your knee.
- Now slide your other leg out, extending it and keeping your toes a few inches above the floor.
- Keep the position of your spine neutral and your stomach flat.
- Repeat the exercise 20 times every day.
[ Read: Home Remedies To Treat Ascites ]
10. The Bent Knee Fall-Out Exercise:
This is a great exercise for your core muscles.
- First, lie on your back, bending your knees with your feet flat on the floor.
- Throughout the workout, keep your lower back’s normal inward curve.
- With your fingers, feel the abdominal wall that is located inside your pelvic bone.
- Activate this area by drawing in the area that is beneath your briefs in a gentle manner.
- Let your knee point towards the ceiling with it in a bent position.
- Make sure that your pelvis is kept stable.
- Now, return to the starting position and relax the muscles in your abdomen.
- Repeat the exercise 3 times on each side in the beginning and increase the number slowly.
- Progress it by repeating it, but make sure that you do not cause contractions in your abdomen.
With the help of these 10 diastasis recti exercises, you can contribute to the healing process and get your tummy look the way it used to be. If you’re looking for more information on diastasis recti and how to heal after pregnancy, check out this article from Our Fit Family Life. If the condition does not disappear over time, you should consult your doctor as surgery may be required.
I heard that a lot of these exercises are popular amount those doing Police Test Prep. My friend who was telling me about how much more psychologically prepared for his police tests.